Issue #4040 has been updated by Koichi Sasada.

Current implementation: now splatting huge parameters (and receive rest arguments) for Ruby methods are fine. However, C methods doesn't support this pattern. It should be fixed.

Bug #4040: SystemStackError with Hash[*a] for Large _a_

* Author: Run Paint Run Run
* Assignee: Koichi Sasada
* Target version: next minor
* ruby -v: ruby 1.9.3dev (2010-11-09 trunk 29737) [x86_64-linux]
=begin
 I've been hesitating over whether to file a ticket about this, so please feel free to close if I've made the wrong choice.

 I often use Hash[*array.flatten] in IRB to convert arrays of arrays into hashes. Today I noticed that if the array is big enough, this would raise a SystemStackError. Puzzled, I looked deeper. I assumed I was hitting the maximum number of arguments a method's argc can hold, but realised that the minimum size of the array needed to trigger this exception differed depending on whether I used IRB or not. So, presumably this is indeed exhausting the stack...

 In IRB, the following is the minimal reproduction of this problem:

   Hash[*130648.times.map{ 1 }]; true

 I haven't looked for the minimum value needed with `ruby -e`, but the following reproduces:

   ruby -e 'Hash[*1380888.times.map{ 1 }]'

 I suppose this isn't technically a bug, but maybe it offers another argument for either #666 or an extension of #3131.
=end

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/