Thank you for the great summary Naruse-san!

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 4:27 PM, NARUSE, Yui <naruse / airemix.jp> wrote:
> But
> mspec doesn°«t have enough utility in envutil, like assert_separately.

That can be added of course.
There is ruby_exe("some code"), but it's more limited as it does not
require the test framework.

> Like above mspec is not as robust as miniunit.
> Even though ruby/spec°«s example is smaller than test-all,
> mspec has more abstraction layers than minitest+test-unit wrapper.

Maybe we can make mspec simpler, I would be glad to see that.
I do not think there is necessarily a much larger abstraction needed for
spec-style.

There are also counter examples, such as test-all using refinements
and complex code in setup or utilities, which make them really hard to run
for other implementations.

> If it hits mysterious SEGV, it makes hard to debug.
> (I experienced such hard debugging some times through the experience)

Could you expand on what is hard to debug?
Is it the assertion code, going from one test to another or something else?
Debugging at the C level when going through quite a bit of Ruby code is
hard,
I usually make a minimal reproducible example when the bug is not obvious.

> Just as a note
> * test-all also has tag feature; JRuby uses that for these days

Yes, but it does not work well.
The most common case is an alternative implementation
passes everything except 1 of the 10 assertions in that test method,
and then everything must be excluded for the CI to stay green.
(supressed text/html)