Kirk Haines <wyhaines / gmail.com> wrote:
> My software makes use of buffers of network data where the character
> encodings are irrelevant. They are just streams of bytes being moved
> around, and sometimes manipulated along the way, and the byte based
> operations that you propose would be extremely useful.

Agreed to some extent.  I think we could also use a byteslice!
bang method to efficiently deal with partial writes.  But then,
! probably isn't safe on user-supplied data with Rack or most
frameworks; only a custom vertically-integrated network apps...

For reading and parsing operations, I'm not sure they're needed
because IO#read/read_nonblock/etc all return binary strings when
passed explicit length arg; and //n exists for Regexp.  (And any
socket server reading without a length arg would be dangerous)