Issue #11547 has been updated by Scott Bronson.

The fix is even simpler than what I was picturing: https://github.com/ruby/ruby/commit/44a2576f798b07139adde2d279e48fdbe71a0148

If it sticks, this will make a bunch of Rails autoload issues go away.  Right on nobu, thanks!

Feature #11547: remove top-level constant lookup

* Author: Corin Langosch
* Assignee:
* Target version:
If ruby cannot find a class in the specified scope it uses the top-level constant of the same name if it exists and emits a warning:

~~~
irb(main):006:0> class Auth; end
=> nil
irb(main):007:0> class Twitter; end
=> nil
irb(main):008:0> Twitter::Auth
(irb):8: warning: toplevel constant Auth referenced by Twitter::Auth
=> Auth
~~~

In some cases this is not playing nicely with rails autoloading as can be seen here: https://github.com/rails/rails/issues/6931. Many more issues like this exist.

Imo I don't see any reason why this fallback makes any sense. So I'd like to suggest to remove it completely or at least add an option to disable it.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/