eregontp / gmail.com wrote:
> So this is essentially like Java's String.intern()?
>
> There is already String#intern in Ruby but it returns a Symbol.
> Depending on the use-case, I guess this might be less convenient than getting a de-duplicated String.

Yeah, I considered using intern/to_sym for my use case;
but the problem is it that still creates a new string object
whenever it needs to be written/printed/concatenated.

And I also feel using symbol like this is ugly (just a gut
feeling), despite having GC-able symbols since 2.2.

> String#dedup or sounds better than #fstring.

Yes.  Lets wait for Matz to comment.