We looked at this issue at today's developer meeting.  We could not be sure if we need our own implementation of BLAKE2 (or SHA3).   Maybe a matter of time?  We might need to use SHA3 someday, but OpenSSL should also have one at that time  (BLAKE2 is there already).

Isn't it better for us to encourage people switching from Digest to OpenSSL?

Feature #12802: Add BLAKE2 support to Digest

* Author: Tony Arcieri
* Assignee:
* Target version:
BLAKE2 is a fast, modern hash function, based on improvements to the BLAKE function, which was a SHA3 finalist. BLAKE2 performs about twice as fast in software as SHA3 winner Keccak:

https://blake2.net/

BLAKE2 has received an informational RFC 7693 from the IETF:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7693

It was added to the Python standard library in Python 3.6:

https://docs.python.org/3.6/library/hashlib-blake2.html

If there's interest in supporting BLAKE2 in the Ruby standard library, I can put together a patch.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/