So we discussed at today's developer meeting.  Attendees felt in common that Kernel#warn's complicated pitfall-ish behaviour is not useful very much.  Does anybody actually pass array to it?  Warning.warn is much straight-forward.  It makes relatively less sense to emulate Kernel#warn's old corner cases using Warning.warn.

We want to re-think Kernel#warn API.  In order to do so 2.4 is too immediate.  Let us leave it as is now.  Don't get me wrong; I basically think this feature is a good one to have.  Just a bit bigger than it was thought to be.

Feature #12944: Change Kernel#warn to call Warning.warn

* Author: Jeremy Evans
* Assignee:
* Target version: 2.4
Currently, Kernel#warn is basically the same as $stderr.puts.  With the new Warning.warn support in ruby 2.4, it makes sense for Kernel#warn to call Warning.warn, otherwise you will not be able to use Warning.warn to filter/process warning messages generated by Kernel#warn.

The Kernel#warn API is different than the Warning.warn API, the attached patch tries to get similar behavior, but there are probably corner cases where the behavior is different.

0001-Change-Kernel-warn-to-call-Warning.warn.patch (1.88 KB)
0001-Change-Kernel-warn-to-call-Warning.warn.patch (1.89 KB)
0001-Change-Kernel-warn-to-call-Warning.warn.patch (2.36 KB)
0001-Change-Kernel-warn-to-call-Warning.warn.patch (2.3 KB)
0001-Change-Kernel-warn-to-call-Warning.warn.patch (3.23 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/