Issue #13009 has been updated by Koichi Sasada.

Assignee set to Nobuyoshi Nakada

2.4? 2.5?

Feature #13009: Implement fetch for Thread.current

* Author: David Butler
* Assignee: Nobuyoshi Nakada
* Target version:
It's a common idiom to use a fiber-local variable, but return a default value if it hasn't been assigned. Here's an example of Ruby code I would expect to be able to write:

~~~ ruby
def feature_enabled?
  Thread.current.fetch(:feature_enabled, true)
end
~~~

Unfortunately, Thread.current does not implement fetch, like Hash does. So I have to write the more verbose:

~~~ ruby
def feature_enabled?
  Thread.current.key?(:feature_enabled) ? Thread.current[:feature_enabled] : true
end
~~~

Thanks for your consideration!

--