Benoit Daloze <eregontp / gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 3:52 AM, Eric Wong <normalperson / yhbt.net> wrote:
> > Benoit Daloze <eregontp / gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Dear CRuby developers, what do you think?
> > > What are your concerns with this approach?
> >
> > As I've stated in the past, I will not depend on non-Free
> > services or software (including JavaScript and remote APIs)
> > or any GUIs (too fragile, and Ruby itself doesn't need one).
>
> What do you mean? GitHub is absolutely not necessary.
> With the in-tree copy of ruby/spec in the MRI repository,
> you could contribute as directly as changing any file in the MRI repository.

Historically, this has not been the case for existing
out-of-tree things (json, rubygems, rdoc, ...) and there have
been conflicts about it.  Redmine reporters for those are asked
to use GitHub for those, instead; and things seem to be moving
that way, anyways, with gemification of stdlib.

> > There does not seem to be a mutually acceptable way for me to
> > communicate with other rubyspec developers while sticking to my
> > principles.  I don't want to burden anybody to have them go out
> > of their way to accomodate me, either.
>
> Discussing about ruby/spec can be done on the existing channels of
> communication of MRI. I think I am subscribed to most of them (this mailing
> list, #ruby-core and #ruby-ja on IRC).

Not much happens on this list; it seems like I miss out a lot on
GitHub comments and maybe Twitter, too.  There's also
accessibility problems when it comes to viewing Travis-CI
without JS; so I skip a lot of those.

Synchronous IRC is painful to follow after the fact, given TZ
differences and sporadic connectivity.

> > Anyways, I do not expect to have any future as a developer.
> > Just saying my piece and moving on...
>
> Your concern is relevant, let's address it.

Really, I doubt it it is.  It seems like I'm the only Rubyist
expressing these concerns.  I won't go on FSF-style propaganda
campaigns to try convincing people of my position, either.  The
best I can do is step back from Ruby and let reasonable people
work.

Anyways, I've already cut back on my Ruby contributions the past
year for some of these concerns.