Kazuki Yamaguchi wrote:
> Is there still a supported environment without 64-bit integer support? ext/digest/sha2/sha2.c is already using 64-bit integers. It is compiled only when OpenSSL (or CommonCrypto) is not available, but the current versions of OpenSSL also require uint64_t.
>
> But, I'm wondering, why not add the SHA-3 winner but only BLAKE2?

Many part of CRuby requires int64_t/uint64_t.
The point seems acceptable.

Feature #12802: Add BLAKE2 support to Digest

* Author: Tony Arcieri
* Assignee:
BLAKE2 is a fast, modern hash function, based on improvements to the BLAKE function, which was a SHA3 finalist. BLAKE2 performs about twice as fast in software as SHA3 winner Keccak:

https://blake2.net/

BLAKE2 has received an informational RFC 7693 from the IETF:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7693

It was added to the Python standard library in Python 3.6:

https://docs.python.org/3.6/library/hashlib-blake2.html

If there's interest in supporting BLAKE2 in the Ruby standard library, I can put together a patch.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/