Issue #13009 has been updated by Robert A. Heiler.

I can not say whether this feature is important or not, but on the syntax suggestion - I like the above (on the premise that it behaves as .fetch on Hash does; I have not checked this either).

Feature #13009: Implement fetch for Thread.current

* Author: David Butler
* Assignee:
It's a common idiom to use a fiber-local variable, but return a default value if it hasn't been assigned. Here's an example of Ruby code I would expect to be able to write:

~~~ ruby
def feature_enabled?
  Thread.current.fetch(:feature_enabled, true)
end
~~~

Unfortunately, Thread.current does not implement fetch, like Hash does. So I have to write the more verbose:

~~~ ruby
def feature_enabled?
  Thread.current.key?(:feature_enabled) ? Thread.current[:feature_enabled] : true
end
~~~

Thanks for your consideration!

--