Issue #12979 has been updated by Mike Vastola.

Benoit Daloze wrote:
> `1.clone(freeze: false)` does not do what you say.
> The keyword :freeze has default value true for #clone, which means if the original object is frozen so will be the clone.
> See #12300 for details.

Oh wow. That's entirely my fault. I totally confused Ruby's dup/cloning with another language (and/or my imagination, haha).

Fortunately my point still stands: the **`:freeze`** key (and the entire **`#freeze`** operation) of the **`#clone`** method is irrelevant vis--vis immediates and **`#freeze`** is already designed to fail silently on **`#frozen?`** objects. (I think I just got the default behavior wrong.)

Feature #12979: Avoid exception for #dup on Integer (and similar cases)