There is a ruby gem for bitwise operations, by Kenn Ejima, although it
has not been updated in 4 years.

https://rubygems.org/gems/bitwise
https://github.com/kenn/bitwise

I believe that the better approach for Ruby Bitwise Operations is to
"dust-off" this "bitwise" gem and add whatever functionality is needed.
That might include a ".mask" method, which returns true (if any
resulting bit is 1) or false (if all resulting bits are 0). Such a
method would bridge bitwise operations and Ruby's true/false.

I further believe that having zero (integer, real, complex) be truthy is
the correct behavior, which Ruby already implements.

Note that Ruby currently provides ".zero?" and ".nonzero?" methods for
numeric types. Although the return values are inconsistent between
Integer, Real and Complex, they do return values which are behave
correctly (as truthy or falsey).

BEGIN CRITICAL
If anything needs to be changed in the Ruby core, it is to make the
results of ".zero?" and ".nonzero?" be consistently either true or false
for all numeric values. Such a change would nicely map bitwise
operations to Ruby true and false.
END CRITICAL