`yield_self` is OK, but I don't think we are going to add `object.{|x| ... }`.

Matz.

Feature #12760: Optional block argument for `itself`

* Author: Victor Shepelev
* Assignee:
That's an another attempt to choose good metaphor for `object.(yield self)` (previously: #6721 and ton of duplicates).

In discussion here: https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/11717#note-3 it was said:

> Clearly this is something the Ruby community wants. Just as clearly, it's something nobody can name.

But suddenly... I've thought about this!

```ruby
some.long.method.chain.constructing.string
  .itself { |s| "(" + s + ")" }
  .itself(&method(:puts))

# or
require 'open-uri'

construct_url(*params)
  .itself(&method(:open))
  .read
  .itself(&JSON.method(:parse))
  .to_yaml
  .itself(&File.method(:write))

# NB: I understand that _last_ `itself` in both examples
#     could as well be `tap`. But not all the previous.
```

Pros:

* method is already here, it has pretty name and underused (almost nothing except `group_by(&:itself)` comes to mind);
* it is not 100% good English, but readable: `itself(&JSON.method(:parse))` = "parse itself with json";
* implementation is trivial, no backwards-compatibility issues (like new methods shadowing something important in third-party library) are expected.

Cons:

* ???

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/