Issue #12935 has been updated by Victor Shepelev.

> Can you point to some of these examples? If there is actual use of this code in a somewhat uniform way, then it should be possible to register it. Also, if there are other, similar codes, then the same applies.

Well, except for Google's (and similar) Easter Eggs, I saw several times (including pretty big companies) when the code was used internally, but in production, for signaling some weird conditions.

And I should say that gems that convert HTTP codes to exceptions or explanations, typically aware of it:

~~~ruby
RestClient.get('https://www.google.com/teapot')
# => RestClient::ImATeapot: 418 I'm A Teapot
Faraday.get('https://www.google.com/teapot').reason_phrase
# => "I'm a Teapot"
HTTParty.get('https://www.google.com/teapot').response
# => #<Net::HTTPClientError 418 I'm a Teapot readbody=true>
~~~

Misc #12935: Webrick: Update HTTP Status codes, share them