Issue #12935 has been updated by Matthew Kerwin.

Martin Drst wrote:

>  Can you point to some of these examples? If there is actual use of this
>  code in a somewhat uniform way, then it should be possible to register
>  it. Also, if there are other, similar codes, then the same applies.
>
>  Regards,   Martin.

I know, and I guess you also know, that "418 I'm a Teapot" comes from traditional April 1 RFCs:

* https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2324#section-2.3.2
* https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7168#section-2.3.3

The code (and more importantly its name) has appealed to a lot of people over the years. Personally I've used it in the past for application-specific signalling that a client has hit an endpoint that knows the higher-level protocol enough to know that it's the wrong (type of) peer.

Maybe there's a non-April-1 Informational RFC in there somewhere, if other folk are doing the same thing.

NB:

~~~
~$ curl -I https://www.google.com/teapot
HTTP/2 418
content-type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 05:34:12 GMT
server: gws
cache-control: private
x-xss-protection: 1; mode=block
x-frame-options: SAMEORIGIN
alt-svc: quic=":443"; ma=2592000; v="36,35,34"
accept-ranges: none
vary: Accept-Encoding

~$
~~~

Misc #12935: Webrick: Update HTTP Status codes, share them