So you mean we don't need atomic integer because concurrent-ruby sucks?  I don't think that's a valid reason to reject this.

Bug #12607: Ruby needs an atomic integer

* Author: Shyouhei Urabe
* Assignee: Koichi Sasada
* ruby -v:
(This one was derived from bug #12463)

Although I don't think += would become atomic, at the same time I understand Rodrigo's needs of _easier_ counter variable that resists inter-thread tampering.  I don't think ruby's Integer class can be used for that purpose for reasons (mainly because it is not designed with threads in mind).  Rather we should introduce a integer class which is carefully designed.

Why not import Concurrent::AtomicFixnum into core?

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/