Issue #12046 has been updated by Sven Schwyn.

> If you have any concrete use-case for the new (more complex) behavior, please tell me.

This feature request has been rejected more than once, so I'm most likely doing this in vain. But the obvious use-case would be better readability. Right now, the way to do it is:

class Foobar
  attr_accessor :color
  attr_writer :transparent

  def transparent?
    @transparent

Even though the transparent reader is trivial, it has to be explicitly added and thus is not visible in the list of other trivial accessors such as color.

If tailing question marks are ignored when trivial writers are created, the code would look as follows:

class Foobar
  attr_accessor :color, :transparent?
end

The writer remains `transparent=`, but it could reject any non-boolean values. The reader would be `transparent` with an alias `transparent?`.

It's just a little magic to remove crust. And it wouldn't break any existing code because accessors and writers with tailing question marks raise "invalid attribute name" as of now.

Feature #12046: Allow attr_reader :foo? to define instance method foo? for accessing @foo