Issue #12861 has been updated by bug hit.

super is in sync with __method__ because they are designed to be in sync, __method__ called from a block typically returns the enclosing method of the block but not always, when the block is invoked as a method, __super__ returns the method represented by the block.

This arguments does not alter the fact that super called from a block is usually lexically bound to the enclosing method but not always.  I think that's not ideal, something as significant as lexical vs dynamic binding should be fixed for a given concept/construct.

Feature #12861: super in a block can be either lexically or dynamically scoped depending on how the block is invoked

* Author: bug hit
* Assignee: Yukihiro Matsumoto
```ruby
class Class1
  def self.foo
    'foo'
  end
  def self.method1
    'method1'

class Class2 < Class1
  def self.foo
    bar do
      super()
  def self.bar(&block)
    a = block.()
    define_singleton_method :method1, &block
    b = send(:method1)
    c = block.()
    [a, b, c]

p Class2.foo # ["foo", "method1", "foo"]
```

It doesn't seem like a good idea for a given language construct to be either lexically or dynamically scoped, depending on how its surrounding block is invoked (which is not visible at the point of definition).  I think it would be better if super were always lexically scoped, and a different keyword (dynamic_super) were always dynamically scoped

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/