Why would someone want to use Ruby for scientific computing, when Python
offers an awesome collection of scientific packages with first-class
support?

Isn't Ruby supposed to be a great language for web development, and
that's about the extent of it?

[I'm playing the Devil's Advocate here.]

Specifically, wouldn't an interconnected system of Science/Math packages
be a more appropriate place for Mathematical and Scientific constants?
That way, they could be organized to facilitate ease-of-use while
eliminating redundancy. They might even be curated to avoid the prospect
of wholesale duplicating CRC manuals in Ruby code.

Would such an interconnected system be packaged as a bunch of individual
gems, or is there some higher-level packaging concept than the Ruby gem?

I personally think gems are best when kept as small as possible, highly
cohesive and highly coherent. But that creates a secondary problem? How
to organize larger units of reusable code? I don't know.