Hi ruby-core

I am excited to announce that we have recently released the sources to the
JIT compiler that powered the Ruby+OMR Preview released last year [1]. The
sources now exist here [2].

At this point, anyone should be able to build the same technology that powered
the Ruby+OMR Preview, which as a reminder, is a demonstration of combining
Ruby with the Eclipse OMR project [3], an open source project that has been
created around re-usable high performance runtime components, with the goal of
sharing technology improvements to client technologies.

The Ruby VM sources [2] have (as submodules)

1. the OMR project [3] (for the GC and language independent compiler
   technology) and
2. the rbjitglue [4], which is the Ruby specific JIT glue code

You can now build the project by

$ git clone https://github.com/rubyomr-preview/ruby.git --branch ruby_2_2_omr --recursive
$ cd ruby
$ autoconf
$ ./configure SPEC=<specname> --with-omr-jit
$ make
$ make install

Where SPEC is set to one of  linux_x86-64, linux_ppc-64_le_gcc, linux_ppc-64,
linux_390-64.

Enabling the JIT compiler is done by setting the OMR_JIT_OPTIONS environment
variable to `-Xjit:`. See the README for more details.

The State of the Project:

Currently the code is built off of Ruby 2.2. We are  discussing how to proceed
in getting the sources up to HEAD; however, we are still interested in
feedback from the ruby-core (and wider) ruby community. Feel free to email me
(magaudet / ca.ibm.com), or to open issues.

I plan on writing more about the project later, including a deeper dive into
the code, but we are very excited to share.

Here's a direct link to the project,

https://github.com/rubyomr-preview/ruby

and a link to my RubyKaigi talk from 2015, with video.

http://rubykaigi.org/2015/presentations/MattStudies

----
[1]: https://github.com/rubyomr-preview/rubyomr-preview
[2]: https://github.com/rubyomr-preview/ruby