Issue #12086 has been updated by Charles Nutter.

> Yes, you'll get unexpected results in this case.

I think you'd get unexpected results in my original case too, wouldn't you? Both of those two blocks still have the same prev_cref, which is where the refinements collection comes from. Am I wrong?

In any case, even with the single Proc, it seems like a showstopper in this design. There's no way to avoid two threads refining the same block incompatibly.

> It's true that cache is invalidated by instance_eval(using:), but global method caching has been improved in MRI, and I don't know how different compared to JRuby.

What is the impact of that invalidation? I am not familiar with how MRI globally invalidates these days and how it reduces the impact.

> I don't know it should be applied to code used with the new features.

But if I have chosen not to use this feature, for the performance of my application, I'll also have to check every library I depend on to see if they use the feature. If I don't, such a library might impact the performance of my entire application. I don't think we want that.

So summarizing my concerns up to this point:

* The current design is not thread-safe. It might be possible to make it thread-safe at the cost of additional complexity, which may mean further reducing performance. (design issue)
* If any code in the system uses the current implementation of this feature, that impacts the performance unrelated code by invalidating global caches. (implementation issue)
* All blocks everywhere in the system will now be suspect; you will not be able to tell what method will be called unless you control everywhere that block will be passed (usability issue, in my opinion)

Feature #12086: using: option for instance_eval etc.