Issue #12142 has been updated by Vladimir Makarov.

Yura Sokolov wrote:
> Vladimir's branch sometimes faster cause it uses simplified (but fast on 64bit)
> unseeded hash for FIXNUM and FLOAT. imho, it is security issue.

Hashing numbers on the trunk is based on shifts and logical
operations. My hash for numbers is faster not only on 64-bit but on
32-bit targets too, even with embedded shifter as in ARM when an
operand of an arithmetic insn can be preliminary shifted during the
insn execution.

I think, potentially, there is a security issue if an application getting
strings, transforms them into numbers and uses them as keys.  But I
don't know such Ruby applications.

My implementation itself **does not introduce the security issue** as
the original code on trunk has the same problem.  Moreover producing
conflicting integer keys for the trunk code is very easy while for my
hash of integers it will take several months on modern supercomputers
to produce such keys for integers on 64-bit machines.

Still I can make a patch quickly which completely eliminates this issue
**without any slowdown** in my hashing for numbers if people decide
that it is a real security issue.  Instead of a constant seed used for now,
I can produce a seed once per MRI execution from crypto-level PRNG.  Moreover,
I can speed up hashing for numbers even more for the last 4 generations
of Intel CPUs.

Feature #12142: Hash tables with open addressing