Issue #12730 has been updated by Cody Soultz.

James Britt Pointed out to me that:

> The example in the docs shows a sequence of operations on the same string instance. "slice!" will modify the receiver, so the next operation is working on a changed string.
>
> Your example doesn't match what is happening in the docs, so the results are different. In the docs example there are two previous calls to "slice!"

So this issue should now be closed. I do not see how to close this...sorry

Misc #12730: Documentation String.slice!(regex)

* Author: Cody Soultz
* Assignee:
at http://ruby-doc.org/core-2.2.0/String.html#method-i-slice-21

In the example
string = "this is a string"
string.slice!(/s.*t/)   #=> "sa st"

When ran in irb the result is different than shown because the regex starts at the first s and then ends at the last t.

in irb
2.3.0 :001 > string = "this is a string"
 => "this is a string"
2.3.0 :002 > string.slice!(/s.*t/)
 => "s is a st"

the documentation should be: