Issue #12681 has been updated by Vit Ondruch.

Status changed from Closed to Assigned

Vit Ondruch wrote:
> Also, I think that the removal of `FileUtils::makedirs("#$extout/gems")` [4] should be enough to avoid the creation of the `$(topdir)` directory. The appropriate directories are created later by `extmake` anyway

This was reported separately as #12714 and fixed by r56042

Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:
> Do you install after `make extract-gems` or without it?

Never heard about "extract-gems" nor I understand why I should use it, when I build from the snapshot tarball. So far ```make & make install``` was always enough.

Anyway, your recent changes probably fix the issue but broke some RubyGems tests:

http://www.rubyist.net/~akr/chkbuild/debian/ruby-trunk/log/20160831T110500Z.fail.html.gz

Bug #12681: Gemfied tk issue