Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Benoit,
>
> The name and behavior haven't fixed yet. So we welcome discussion.
>
> Your statement about "Ruby-like" is pretty interesting. Even though I have been designing Ruby for last 20+ years, I am not sure if I could define "Ruby-like". Could you please suggest a better "Ruby-like" name than "map_v"?
>
> Matz.

Dear Matz,

Thank you for the quick reply!
I think #map_values is intuitive and consistent with other methods as well as the general terminology used in Hash.
It seems almost everyone agrees on the name for once :)

About defining "Ruby-like" for names, that's though indeed.
I would think it's often concise yet clear and intuitive, generally avoiding abbreviations
and using well-established names from e.g. Unix and functional programming if there are.
They also have their own syntactic particularities with _, ?, ! and =.

Feature #12512: Import Hash#transform_values and its destructive version from ActiveSupport