We looked at this issue at yesterday's developer meeting.  No problem to introduce this feature was reported, except it is not implemented yet.  Nobu tried this before and had technical difficulty; not sure if that could be rerouted.  We are basically waiting for him (&others) to complete.

Feature #4840: Allow returning from require

* Author: Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas
* Assignee: Nobuyoshi Nakada
I have a situation where there is some code in Gitorious like:

~~~ruby
unless defined? GitoriousConfig
  # tons of lines here
end
~~~

And I would it to look like

~~~ruby
return if defined? GitoriousConfig

#tons of lines here
~~~

It would be great to allow return from a required file or some other keyword (break, etc or a new one)

feature-4840.odp (114 KB)
0001-compile.c-toplevel-return.patch (1.71 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/