Issue #9704 has been updated by Pablo Herrero.

It would be interesting to apply a refinement to a whole app (without its gems) or inside a single gem without propagating to the rest of the app which loaded it. Although I'm not really sure about the best syntax to do it.

Feature #9704: Refinements as files instead of modules

* Author: Thomas Sawyer
* Assignee: Yukihiro Matsumoto
If refinements are to remain file-scoped, then it would be more convenient if `using` worked at the file level, akin to `require`, rather than behave like a module `include`. For instance, instead of:

~~~
# foo.rb
module Foo
  refine String do
    def some_method
~~~

~~~
require 'foo'
using Foo
~~~

We could do:

~~~
# foo.rb
class String
  def some_method
~~~

~~~
using 'foo'
~~~

This would make `require` and `using`, in a certain sense, *polymorphic* --if we `require` it will extend the classes directly, but if `using` then they will be refined instead.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/