Dvis Mosns wrote:
> That's not really needed. For example `File.read` works with any console's codepage. But `Dir.entries` and `Dir.pwd` works only for ANSI paths no matter what console's codepage is set to. There's quite inconsistency between what encodings are used and IMO best solution is just use UTF-8 everywhere.

I think they should be the console's codepage (or "locale" encoding), not UTF-8 always.

Feature #12654: On Windows use UTF-8 as filesystem encoding

* Author: Dvis Mosns
* Assignee:
Windows (NTFS) supports Unicode and there can be paths/filenames with other characters than current ANSI/OEM codepage can encode.

See attached patch.

0001-On-Windows-use-UTF-8-as-filesystem-encoding.patch (10.4 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/