Issue #9704 has been updated by Shugo Maeda.

Assignee set to Yukihiro Matsumoto

Thomas Sawyer wrote:
> Has any more thought been given to this? I had a recent request to have Ruby Facets to work as refinements, but I hesitate b/c it literally means creating a second copy of every extension method.

What do you think of the following idea, Matz?

> Monkey-patching style has another problem that super cannot be supported in monkey patching.

> I prefer another approach to extend classes both globally and locally in the same manner.
> How about to provide a way to activate refinements globally?
>
> ```
> using Foo, global: true
> # Refinements in Foo are activated globally.
> ```
>

> Module#refine creates a module as a refinement, so it can be globally activated by Module#prepend-ing that module to the target class.

Feature #9704: Refinements as files instead of modules

* Author: Thomas Sawyer
* Assignee: Yukihiro Matsumoto
If refinements are to remain file-scoped, then it would be more convenient if `using` worked at the file level, akin to `require`, rather than behave like a module `include`. For instance, instead of:

~~~
# foo.rb
module Foo
  refine String do
    def some_method
~~~

~~~
require 'foo'
using Foo
~~~

We could do:

~~~
# foo.rb
class String
  def some_method
~~~

~~~
using 'foo'
~~~

This would make `require` and `using`, in a certain sense, *polymorphic* --if we `require` it will extend the classes directly, but if `using` then they will be refined instead.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/