Issue #12599 has been updated by Noah Gibbs.

ruby -v set to 2.4.0dev

Bug #12599: For CLang, increase inline-threshold to get 7% speedup of optcarrot

* Author: Noah Gibbs
* Assignee:
* ruby -v: 2.4.0dev
Here's a patch to set -inline-threshold where it's supported -- it's only for CLang, so I think this is mostly on Mac OS.

Clang's default inline threshold complexity is 225 (see "https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/llvm-dev/GpU79q9JzJI"). By turning it up to 5000, the Ruby binary's size goes from about 3MB to 6MB, but there's an overall speedup of the optcarrot benchmark of about 7%.

Here are roughly the speedups I found, using 500+ runs of the optcarrot benchmark for each check:

    Threshold:   Binary size:   Speedup on optcarrot:
    5000         6MB            7%
    2500         5.5MB          6%
    1800         4.8MB          5%
    1000         4.4MB          5% (hard to measure diff between 1000 and 1800)

There doesn't seem to be any increase in dynamic memory use - this is only inlining the C code compiled by CLang/LLVM, not changing any Ruby data structures at runtime, so the memory cost seems to only be paid once.

For a desktop Mac in particular, it seems like using 3MB extra for a 7% speedup is a really good deal.

inline-threshold.patch (1.03 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/