Issue #7361 has been updated by Naja Melan.

I prefer something like (warning, untested code):

~~~ ruby

def touch( subPath = '', **options )

	path = @path
	ret  = self

	if directory?

		ret  = join subPath
		path = ret.to_path

	end

	FileUtils.touch( path, **options )

	ret

end
~~~

lets you do:

~~~ ruby
mydir.touch 'somefile'
~~~

I think touch is a good name because everybody already knows it and it's what people will try out spontaneously before even looking in the docs why it doesn't work. Joel Spolsky [explains quite well](http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/fog0000000249.html) why this is a good thing.

Feature #7361: Adding Pathname#touch