Issue #6647 has been updated by John Backus.

Akira Tanaka wrote:
> It seems true-by-default and report-on-GC needs more discussion.

I'm not sure how helpful my input is here but I think `true-by-default` makes this change useful. Otherwise it is probably not very useful. Right now it seems like the main problems are:

1. New ruby developers don't know to about `Thread.abort_on_exception` and end up confused when their code doesn't work but they aren't seeing exceptions

2. More experienced ruby developers can still easily forget to set `Thread.abort_on_exception` and be confused until they realize

These problems are not solved at all if the default value for `Thread.report_on_exception` is `false`:

1. New ruby developers wont know to set this configuration

2. Experienced ruby developers are probably going to forget `report_on_exception` if they forgot about `abort_on_exception`.

Feature #6647: Exceptions raised in threads should be logged