Issue #12535 has been updated by Tiago Cardoso.

Assignee set to Nobuyoshi Nakada

@Nobu, can you check my last comment? I think this is a valid concern, as in "the same method defined in two objects".

Bug #12535: are there 2 sleep methods defined?

* Author: Tiago Cardoso
* Assignee: Nobuyoshi Nakada
* ruby -v:
I'm updating this gem which "patches" the sleep method to use prepend, as I wanted to drop support to ruby < 2.0 . (previous implementation was using alias method chain like solution)

So I came across this funny behaviour:

```ruby
module AlternativeSleep
  def sleep(*)
    puts "going to sleep now..."
    super

class << self
  prepend AlternativeSleep
end
class << Kernel
  prepend AlternativeSleep
end

puts "these are the locations..."

puts Kernel.method(:sleep)
puts method(:sleep)

puts "now to work. if you see the going to sleep message only once, there's your bug"

Kernel.sleep 1
sleep 1
```

In order to make sleep work in both cases, I have to do those 2 prepends. Try to comment one of them, and you'll see that one of them will always work.

I'm led to believe that sleep method has two implementations, although that doesn't seem to make sense. Could you provide with some insight?

When I was using the alias-method-chain example, I was including in the main object, as `main#sleep` somehow seemed to land in `Kernel.sleep` (?) .

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/