Issue #12533 has been reported by Tiago Cardoso.

Feature #12533: Refinements: allow modules inclusion, in which the module can call internal methods which it defines.
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/12533

* Author: Tiago Cardoso
* Assignee:
Right now this isn't possible:

<pre>
module Extensions
def vegetables ; potatoe ; end
def potatoe ; "potatoe" ; end
end

module Refinary
refine String do
# this doesn't work
include Extensions
# this would work...
# def vegetables ; potatoe ; end
# def potatoe ; "potatoe" ; end

using Refinary

puts "tomatoe".vegetables

#=> in <main>': undefined methodvegetables' for "tomatoe":String
</pre>

Wrongly reported as a bug [here](https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/12514).

According to Shugo Maeda, this was expected behaviour. I argued that this is the way most monkey-patches work, and if Refinements can't cover the use case of inserting a custom DSL which references itself in the classes it refines, it can't fully replace monkey-patches, which I read was the main reason Refinements have been added to the language.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/