Issue #11735 has been updated by Adam Doppelt.

Shyouhei Urabe wrote:
> I had no pro et contra to the proposal until now.  From what you said I started thinking squish can be a bad smell of indiscreet data treatment.

I think you're missing the point here. Squish is used to cleanup whitespace. If you want to preserve whitespace, don't call it. There are many, many, many (many) situations where cleaning up whitespace is desirable and squish is perfect.

Yes, I actually need to destroy newlines, smash spaces together, and annihilate <pre> tags. This is incredibly common. That's why I use squish. If I didn't want to do those things I would not use squish.

Feature #11735: Porting String#squish and String#squish! from Ruby on Rails' Active Support