"What is a namespace?" can be a fundamental issue here.  I guess Akira's point at comment #6 is that a "namespace" is to do something with names.  From such point of view, the "A::B" output is at least insufficient to be a "namespace".  That cannot explain why Z is visible inside.

Feature #12317: Name space of a module

* Author: Tsuyoshi Sawada
* Assignee:
I want a method to return the  name space of a module, something like:

~~~ruby
class A; module B; module C end end end

A::B::C.namespace => [A, A::B, A::B::C]
~~~

There is `nesting` method that is similar, but that only returns the lexical nesting information.

There are also some known hacks for this, converting the module to the string representation using `to_s` or `name`, and then splitting it by `::`. But that easily breaks if the module is anonymous, or is a singleton module. I would like a more robust, core method.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/