Issue #9569 has been updated by Mike Pastore.

Yui NARUSE wrote:
> Anyway I'm creating a securerandom.gem which uses arc4random_buf internally like libressl RAND_bytes.
> https://github.com/nurse/securerandom

You might want to take a look at (shameless self-plug, sorry) https://github.com/mwpastore/securer_randomer for a comparable solution.

Bug #9569: SecureRandom should try /dev/urandom first

* Author: Corey Csuhta
* Assignee:
* ruby -v:
* Backport:
Right now, `SecureRandom.random_bytes` tries to detect an OpenSSL to use before it tries to detect `/dev/urandom`. I think it should be the other way around. In both cases, you just need random bytes to unpack, so SecureRandom could skip the middleman (and [second point of failure](http://sockpuppet.org/blog/2014/02/25/safely-generate-random-numbers/)) and just talk to `/dev/urandom` directly if it's available.

Is this a case of just re-ordering the two code chunks so that `/dev/urandom` is tried first?

Relevant lines: https://github.com/ruby/ruby/blob/trunk/lib/securerandom.rb#L59-L90

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/