Issue #12412 has been updated by Daniel Ferreira.

Another improvement to make it even more powerful.

Introduction of a new global variable that would return the object which didn't respond to the method breaking the safe navigation chain.
Although we need to think about concurrency as well and performance.

Just an idea:

~~~ ruby
foo = ''

def foo.bar
   1
end

foo&.bar&.baz
# => nil
$NEW_GLOBAL_VARIABLE_OR_SOMETHING_ELSE
# => 1
~~~

Bug #12412: Extend safe navigation operator