We looked at this issue in yesterday's developer meeting.

The use case Andrew showed is (in spite of his intention) not unpredictable.  Rather, if we allowed proc->lambda transformation, it gets unpredictable for a proc body what to expect for its first argument.

When writing a proc literal, its programmer's intention is clear that they wanted proc-style behaviour in mind.  Currently if a block starts with "lambda {", it behaves like a lambda.  All others are proc.  This is consistent.  But if we introduce proc conversion, this intension breaks. You can't predict what would happen when a proc is actually called during you write that proc; because it can be converted later.  This is bad.

Feature #7314: Convert Proc to Lambda doesn't work in MRI

* Author: Richard Schneeman
* Assignee: Yukihiro Matsumoto
I have code where I need to convert a proc to a lambda (i need to be able to return out of the block). I would expect that passing a proc into a lambda to return a lambda. When I run this code on MRI i do not get the result I would expect

```ruby
my_proc = proc { |x| x }
my_lambda = lambda &my_proc
my_lambda.lambda?
```

The result is `false` but I would expect it to be  `true`

There is currently a way to turn a proc into a lambda in MRI like this:

```ruby
def convert_to_lambda &block
  obj = Object.new
  obj.define_singleton_method(:_, &block)
  return obj.method(:_).to_proc
end
```

But this feels like a hack, and is not supported across other implementations. I would expect that passing a proc into a lambda to return a lambda, I believe it is a bug.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/