Issue #6647 has been updated by B Kelly.

Daniel Ferreira wrote:
> Why do we need `Thread#report_on_exception` ?
> As I see it `Thread.report_on_exception` should be enough.
>
> Is there a use case scenario for `Thread#report_on_exception` ?

Yes, because `Thread#value` passes the exception to the caller.

Granted ruby recently no longer supports $SAFE=4 sandboxing,
the following was a common sandbox idiom:

  `result = Thread.new {$SAFE=4; do_some_sandbox_work()}.value`

In such cases, it is intended by design that any exception be
passed out of the sandbox to the caller.  Automatic logging
at that boundary would not be desired.

By the way, I'm personally fine with logging by default, and
I support this feature as way to catch unexpected unhandled
thread exceptions.

But I would argue there indeed needs to be a way to disable
logging on a per-thread basis, where exceptions are intended
to be passed via `Thread#value` by design.

Regards,

Bill

Feature #6647: Exceptions raised in threads should be logged