I think the author considered BusyBox.

Therefore it is not a good example.
I think /dev/null and /dev/random is better...

Misc #12365: [DOC] Suggestion to change FileUtils.compare_file

* Author: Robert A. Heiler
* Assignee:
Hello.

The documentation at:

  http://ruby-doc.org/stdlib-2.3.1/libdoc/fileutils/rdoc/FileUtils.html#method-c-compare_file

shows the "return" value in the second example to be:

  #=> maybe false

I am not sure what this means, so my suggestion would be to instead, get
rid of the "maybe" part there and stick just to "false". And to instead
document above the method definition, under which circumstance can the
second check return false, e. g. via examples or just by explanation.

I found a return value of "maybe false" confusing.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/