Issue #12283 has been updated by Robert A. Heiler.

I personally have no preference either way.

I should however had also note that I like the current changelog format:

  https://github.com/ruby/ruby/blob/trunk/ChangeLog

It sort of is easy for me to read what is new, what is changed, what
is being worked on etc...

For me who is more or less a casual ruby user, writing mostly just ruby
code, it allows me to keep track of that in a very easy manner.

>> Matz agreed with this proposal, provided that a ChangeLog-like plain-text file is generated from the commit log.

> I don't even think that's necessary; NEWS file with pointers to
> SVN/git history is enough.

I like the changelogs more than the NEWS file - I don't even look
at the news file much at all, easier to keep track of current
changes as they happen. :-)

Misc #12283: Obsolete ChangeLog and commit message in Git-style