Issue #9569 has been updated by Chris MacNaughotn.

Eric Wong wrote:
> Has anybody here brought up the issue to the OpenSSL team to get
>  OpenSSL fixed?
>
>  Fixing OpenSSL would benefit far more people than just working
>  around the problem in Ruby.
>
>  I'm definitely no expert on RNGs, but when I encounter bugs in
>  other software; I try to get it fixed at the source rather than
>  working problems at a higher level.

Yes: https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/898

Bug #9569: SecureRandom should try /dev/urandom first

* Author: Corey Csuhta
* Assignee: ruby-core
* ruby -v:
* Backport:
Right now, `SecureRandom.random_bytes` tries to detect an OpenSSL to use before it tries to detect `/dev/urandom`. I think it should be the other way around. In both cases, you just need random bytes to unpack, so SecureRandom could skip the middleman (and [second point of failure](http://sockpuppet.org/blog/2014/02/25/safely-generate-random-numbers/)) and just talk to `/dev/urandom` directly if it's available.

Is this a case of just re-ordering the two code chunks so that `/dev/urandom` is tried first?

Relevant lines: https://github.com/ruby/ruby/blob/trunk/lib/securerandom.rb#L59-L90

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/