Issue #12340 has been updated by cremno phobia.

Oops! The tests you've added are much more comprehensive than mine anyway. Thank you for the quick fix.

Bug #12340: Windows: File.truncate has two string encoding issues

* Author: cremno phobia
* Assignee:
* ruby -v:
* Backport: 2.1: WONTFIX, 2.2: REQUIRED, 2.3: REQUIRED
`File.truncate` calls `rb_str_encode_ospath()` which returns a UTF-8 encoded Ruby string.
Then it passes a pointer to the underlying C string to `truncate()` aka `rb_w32_truncate()`.
At last the UTF-8 string is passed to `CreateFile()` aka `CreateFileA()` (ANSI).

This also means it doesn't support Unicode unlike (hopefully all) other File singleton methods.

~~~ruby
s = "\u2603"
IO.write(s, '123')
File.truncate(s, 0)  # Errno::ENOENT: No such file or directory @ rb_file_s_truncate -
~~~

A possible fix is attached. I'm not sure about the test code. I also couldn't find any similar tests. The actual fix should be fine however.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/