Issue #12334 has been updated by Brady Wied.

This feature request is not about being external to the object.

I can have multiple Ruby methods besides the initialize method that all do @some_ivar = 123 or @some_ivar=456.  This is about trying to guard against that (if the developer chooses).

Feature #12334: Final/Readonly Support for Fields / Instance Variables

* Author: Brady Wied
* Assignee:
This sort of relates to https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/11911

C# through 'readonly' and Java through 'final' variables/fields allow me to only allow assigning a field in the initializer. It might be nice to embrace some controlled mutation by having this feature in Ruby. Sometimes its tempting in other methods to reassign a field but you really want to control that from the initializer.

Freezing targets a different problem by controlling what I can mutate within that field's object. The two can compliment each other but I see them as each solving a different problem. I know it's possible to freeze an entire instance of a class and not allow reassigning the field that way, but then I'm in an all or none situation where I can't have controlled mutation.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/