Sam Saffron wrote:
> There is no way to invoke the regex engine without it magically setting a pile of globals, making it very inefficient to do lots of things with regex. 3 years ago when I brought this up, Nobu suggested allowing String#include? to accept a regex and set no globals, that may be a way to get a bunch of perf out of the regex engine. Or simply stop with all the globals in Ruby 3 and have specific methods for getting match data always used. I don't know.

I'm sorry that I don't remember it.
Can't you show the pointer?

Feature #12306: Implement String #blank? #present? and improve #strip and family to handle unicode

* Author: Sam Saffron
* Assignee: Yukihiro Matsumoto
Time and again there have been rejected feature requests to Ruby core to implement `blank` and `present` protocols across all objects as ActiveSupport does. I am fine with this call and think it is fair.

However, for the narrow case of String having `#blank?` and `#present?` makes sense.

- Provides a natural extension over `#strip`, `#lstrip` and `#rstrip`. `("   ".strip.length == 0) == "    ".blank?`

- Plays nicely with ActiveSupport, providing an efficient implementation in Ruby core: see: https://github.com/SamSaffron/fast_blank, implementing blank efficiently requires a c extension.

However, if this work is to be done, `#strip` and should probably start dealing with unicode blanks, eg:

```
irb(main):008:0> [0x3000].pack("U")
=> "กก"
irb(main):009:0> [0x3000].pack("U").strip.length
=> 1
```

So there are 2 questions / feature requests here

1. Can we add blank? and present? to String?
2. Can we amend strip and family to account for unicode per: https://github.com/SamSaffron/fast_blank/blob/master/ext/fast_blank/fast_blank.c#L43-L74

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/