On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Geert Fannes wrote:

> I have no experience with Binding objects, but the overhead seems pretty
> huge if you want to do this for a lot of element (I want to have this
> for each matrix element, not per row, see my previous mail regarding
> sparse matrices). Is it feasable to keep all these Bindings for all the
> elements of my matrix?

Oh, no, sorry, I don't mean those things as permanent fixtures. It'd so
much increase the memory overhead. I don't know why I'd keep references to
each element all of the time. I tend to favour batch operations, that is,
instead of doing many small steps (on scalars), do few big steps (on whole
vectors). In Ruby, references (of the kind we were talking about) are a
high-overhead feature, so if you want to avoid overhead, find yourself a
path through low-overhead possibilities, where references are replaced by
triples of a matrix pointer, row index, column index; another low-overhead
possibility is C++.