Hi,

In message "Re: [RFC] mkmf.rb - add files to clean and distclean targets"
    on 03/01/22, Alexander Bokovoy <a.bokovoy / sam-solutions.net> writes:

|> RUBY_LIB_PREFIX
|RUBY_LIB_PREFIX="${prefix}/share/ruby"
|This is the top directory under which library sources (*.rb) will be installed
|in subdirectories depending on Ruby version. Files placed in RUBY_LIB_PREFIX directly
|would be available for all Ruby versions installed on this box and usually
|they represent the script code which is version-independent.

*.rb files may or may not be platform independent.  Do you happen to
know other languages (e.g. perl5) distinguish these directories?

|> RUBY_SITE_LIB_PATH2
|Site-install for non-compiled sources (*.rb) for concrete version of Ruby:
|RUBY_SITE_LIB_PATH2="${RUBY_SITE_LIB_PATH}/${MAJOR}.${MINOR}"
|This is Config::CONFIG["sitelibdir"] when VENDOR_SPECIFIC constant isn't
|defined (or evaluates to false).

I get it (except the issue above).  Perhaps we need better name though.

|> RUBY_VENDOR_LIB_PATH
|> RUBY_VENDOR_LIB_PATH2
|These are produced and used similar to RUBY_LIB_PATH{,2} but for
|vendor-specific paths for this concrete version of Ruby. They are
|internally to export RUBY_VENDOR_LIB, RUBY_VENDOR_LIB2.
|
|For 1.7 they would be (/usr/share/ruby/vendor_ruby,/usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby)

What 'vendor specific' mean?

							matz.