Issue #12124 has been updated by C.J. Collier.

C.J. Collier wrote:
> Shyouhei Urabe wrote:
> > We looked at this issue on this month's developer meeting.  Attendees agree that automake is _basically_ a good thing to have.  However:
> >
> > - We also have to support nmake.
> > - In order to do so, we have a Makefile named `common.mk` which includes most part of rules that are in common between nmake and others.
> > - Automake migration should not break this part.  The difficulty is here.
>
> That all sounds reasonable, and I'm happy to hear that there is interest in the community.
>
> It will likely be much less effort if we get some buy-in from the nmake folks as well.  To that end, I've reached out to a friend who was on the Visual Studio team for quite a long time.  I hope to hear back from someone in Redmond who can help us to bridge the gap here.

I had a meeting yesterday at Microsoft in Redmond with members of the Visual Studio team.  They are excited by the idea of enabling support for autotools in Visual Studio.  We spoke about the possibility of releasing the nmake source code under a license such as X11/MIT.  I am hopeful about the possibility, but of course Microsoft is a large company and they will need to acquire clearance from the developers who wrote the code, management of the Visual Studio team, and LCA before being able to make such a thing possible.

If this were to happen, I expect that it would be relatively easy to convince the automake team to add native support for another Free Software make platform.

Thank you all for your patience!

C.J.

Misc #12124: Use Automake